Friday, March 23, 2007

Two Pocket Bow Hunter


Along with the normal seats, the Amtrak Superliner has sleeper cars, a dining car and a lounge car. passengers riding in the lounge car love to talk. I met robert and Evelyn from Clifton, Colorado. Robert sports a grey beard under his chin like Brigham Young. Carla tells me they call it a “throat goat”. Evelyn wore yellow sun glasses on and Robert wore a sweat shirt with two front pockets. Each pocket held a cell phone. I need a sweatshirt like that, for the past 5 years, I have had to carry two cell phones, one to transmit photos for work, and a personal phone with unlimited minutes.

In less than a minute, they started talking about hunting. Robert was a bow hunter. For the next 44 minutes they did not stop talking about Bow hunting. The only thing I knew was that archery hunters don’t have to wear Orange. I learned that there are no regulations about how close you have to be to shoot an arrow at a deer. Robert said that he never shoots unless he is within 45 yards of the deer. He said he knows several hunters that will shoot from 75, even 100 yards away, but he added, “That’s just piss-poor sportsmanship if you ask me.”

Evelyn told me that has a bow, and she is a good shooter, but will not shoot at animals because she doesn’t think she has enough strengh to kill a deer. She insists that shooting an animal without the strength to kill is not sportsman like.

Other things I learned about Bow hunting:

* You can bow hunt during the rifle season, but you have to wear orange. * Evelyn is convinced that deer watch the news, because they know when hunting season starts. the day before the hunt they will be everywhere, but the day of the hunt they all head for private land!”

No comments: