Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Adidas Superstar

The Adidas Superstar basketball shoe has been around for 35 years. I got my first pair of Superstars when I was in Jr High. My parents drove to Wolf's Sporting Goods in Salt Lake to get them. Although BYU Basketball players were wearing them, they were not available in Provo. Two of the best sports writers I have known were lovers of the Adidas Superstars basketball shoe. Tribune veteran NBA reporter, Phil Miller was one of them. In the 20 years I have worked with Phil, I don't recall seeing him wearing any other shoe. Miller left the Tribune this week, to work for the St. Paul Pioneer-Press, covering the Minnesota Twins.
My late college friend Robes Patton wore nothing but Adidas Superstars. From his days as sports writer at the Daily Universe at BYU, to covering the Miami Heat for the Ft Lauderdale Sun Sentinal. Robes died of cancer in September 1998. He was buried wearing his all-white Adidas Superstars. I recently came across a polaroid I took of one of Robes shoes on my last visit to see him in Florida, in 1998.

4 comments:

the.kim.peterson said...

I think I want to start shooting somethings with polaroids

Mike Terry said...

YES! That picture with the bat is classic. I feel the same except about those blue and white wave vans. My brother had those and skated hard and was cooler than anyone alive I thought. Didn't Run DMC rock the same shoes as that? Good convorsation starter if you ever run into those guys.

churchleeann said...

Wow, I'm seeing you that last night with Robes with your Polaroid. I vaguely remember you showing us how to do that funky background work with the film, but probably couldn't do it today. Yes, Robes loved his Adidas shoes.

Bob and Joyce Wold said...

Love the photo of you in your Adida Superstars Rick! I remember
that ~ Wasn't that about the time
your favorite (and only) big sister was getting married?